3 Year In-Industry Apprenticeship Chef Certificate
incorporating the following:
Eighteen month Cook Certificate
City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate In Food Preparation & Cooking
City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Culinary Arts
Courses intakes are scheduled in January and May every year
The ChefMLK School of Cooking Main Campus is based in Glen Marais, Kempton Park and is ideally situated in Ekurhuleni and accessible by both public and private transport. The School does not offer accommodation.
ChefMLK School of Cooking offer Employers the opportunity to identify candidates to receive formal training as Apprentice Chefs. Private individuals working in professional kitchens may also register for this course.
To assist the Employer, the academic schedule is broken into seven five-day modules, presented during the first seven months of registration. When not required to be on-campus, the Apprentice Chef is based in the workplace where he/ she will be required to complete extensive theoretical and practical work-based assignments.
Applicants are required to be in possession of a Grade 12 or National Senior Certificate, a Senior National Certificate or a National Certificate (Vocational) with Mathematics and English. Foreign applicants must have a Study Permit.
Included in course fee
- City & Guilds Registration and Exam fee as applicable
- Resource materials and ingredients for ChefMLK School of Cooking practical assessments
- Study Guides and Log Books (issued per year of study)
- ChefMLK School of Cooking Resource file
- City & Guilds Portfolio/s
- South African Chefs’ Association membership (1 year)
- Basic on-site First Aid provided by ChefMLK School of Cooking lecturers
- Monitoring visits on-site at establishments in Gauteng
Excluded from course fee
- Occupational Trade Test fees (pending confirmation by QCTO – approximately R5 000-00)
- Transportation to and from School
- All stationary requirements
- All knives and uniform items
- Tasting spoons and kitchen cloths (items are to be personalized)
- Meals and refreshments at the School
- Printing of personal POE material and assignments
- Industry visits and excursion costs
- Costs incurred due to breakages and damage to ChefMLK School of Cooking property
- Computer and Wi-Fi facilities
- Professional Medical Assistance and related costs