Chef Martin Kobald
- After a double apprenticeship in culinary Arts, Chef and Hotel Management, Chef Martin first worked in several hotels in Austria and Germany.
- Immigrated to South Africa in October 1998
- Started working for Southern Sun Hotel Group
- Joined SACA – The South African Chef’s Association
- Joined Board of Directors of SACA in 1994
- President of SACA 2004 – 2009
- Board of Directors of World Chefs in 2008
- Honorary Past President of SACA
- Vice President – WorldChefs – World Association of Chefs Societies WACS -118 member countries, representing over 10 million chefs globally
- Corporate Endorsement Chef – Russell Hobbs, George Foreman, Salton, Green pans
- Corporate Endorsement Chef – Sime Darby – Crispa Oil – Holsum – Mastercraft
- Corporate Endorsement Executive Chef Mc Donald’s SA
- Convener – World Chefs Tour Against Hunger 2011.
- Honorary Member of the Austrian Chefs Association
- Honorary Member of the Australian Chef’s Federation- ACF
- Honorary Member of the Egypt Chef’s Association- ECA
- SACA – Academy of Chefs Member
- Professional Member Chaine des Rotisseurs- Maitre Rotisseurs
- Member of the “ Les Disciples d’Auguste Escoffier
- Owner of ChefMLK group of companies.
- World Chefs accredited international “A” Category judge.
- Awarded Honorary Member Awards Emirates Culinary Guilds 2015, Abu Dhabi and Jordanian Chefs Association 2015; Jordan
- Global operations manager owner and head judge of Global Pizza Challenge
- Head judge and national co-ordinator of the Shoprite-Checkers Championship Boerewors competition since 2002
- Convener – World Chefs Tour Against Hunger
- Appeared as celebrity judge on SABC3’s Clover’s Little Big Cook Off seasons 1 (2014) and 2 (2015).
- * He also featured as a championship chef on Chopped SA 2015 to raise funds for World Chefs Tour against Hunger and starred on Kyknet’s Bring n Braai from 2013-2015.
I have known Chef Martin kobald for over 2 decades, he is a very passionate, dedicated Chef. He developed some great Business Skills over the past few years . As my Vice President in the South African Chefs Association he assisted me greatly in achievement my Goals and I was very happy when Martin took over from me. He is highly rated by his Colleagues from around the Globe.Heinz Brunner, Honorary Life President, South African Chefs Association
Chef Martin Kobald is a humble Master of the culinary trade, encouraging and inspirational in his method of leadership, and application of his vast knowledge. An honour to know him and impressed with every interaction.Thomas Overbeck, General Manager, South African Chefs Association
I have the highest regards for Chef Martin Kobald. He is a true professional who will endeavour to achieve the highest level of attainment in any task he commits himself to, and would willingly endorse any recommendation for him.Rod Naylor, Senior Craft Training Provider/Verifier, Flagship Training Ltd, Defence Maritime Logistics College, UK
I was honoured to work with Chef Martin Kobald during my time as General Manager at the Airport Sun in the early nineties. Martin was the executive chef of the hotel. Even then Martin showed huge signs of brilliance which culminated in his stunning career. Proud to know this wonderful man.Sebastian Berinato, General Manager, Southern Sun Newlands Hotel
Chef Martin Kobald is the ultimate professional, has great vision and the ability to see the "long view ". Martin has great people skills, and can develop a winning team. He also has a great disposition and is user friendly to deal with. I thoroughly enjoyed working with him on several projects and appreciated his advice and experience.Brendan Hill, Teacher - Culinary Arts, The Gordon institute of Tafe, Geelong, Australia
Chef Martin Kobald has appeared on various TV programmes, namely:
- Salton Bite
- Bring & Bring on DSTV Kyknet as Co-Host and Judge
- Clover Little Big Cook Off series 1 & 2 on SABC 3 as Judge. Currently Talks for S3 in 2016
- Chopped SA which is currently been flighted on DSTV
Kobald together with 5 Executive Chefs, raised R250 000-00 for the “World Chefs Tour Against Hunger” when they took on the challenge of climbing and conquering Kilimanjaro in August 2013.
In June 2014, Kobald was awarded the title of “Global Master Chef” from the Global Master Chef Society. An honour and achievement to become the third in South Africa to receive this accolade behind the masters, Dr Bill Gallagher and Executive Chef Manfred Muellers.
Over and above this, Kobald is an “A” Category International Judge which entitles him to judge various WACS (World Association of Chefs Societies) International Culinary Competitions worldwide. Kobald has visited Korea, India, Hong Kong, Germany, just to name a few. In 2014 alone, Kobald judged competitions in Singapore, Egypt, Turkey with Australia and Dubai on the cards for later on in the year.