Four Month Kitchen Hand Certificate
incorporating the City & Guilds Proficiency Certificate (Food Preparation)
Group 1: Course commences on 2 March 2020 until 3 July 2020
Group 2: Course commences on 3 August 2020 until 4 December 2020
The ChefMLK School of Cooking Main Campus is based in Glen Marais, Kempton Park and is ideally situated in Ekurhuleni and accessible by both public and private transport. The School does not offer accommodation.
Applicants are required to be in possession of a Grade 10 with Mathematics and English for the Kitchen Hand Certificate.
Due to the development of a new South African qualification for chefs, ChefMLK School of Cooking is entering this new era with the presentation of a course aligned to this qualification which has been written for professionals by professionals in the Hospitality and Catering Industry. The Occupational Certificate: Kitchen Hand has been developed under supervision of the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO). Kitchen Hand is a part qualification leading to the Cook and Chef Occupational Certificates.
(Note: An Occupational Trade Test will have to be passed before formally qualifying as a Kitchen Hand).
This course also includes the City & Guilds Skills Proficiency Certificate (Food Preparation).
The qualification requires both academic and practical work experience modules to be completed in the months of study. This means that a Trainee Kitchen Hand will spend a considerable time actively gaining practical work experience in reputable establishments when not attending lectures at ChefMLK School of Cooking. The placement period is arranged and monitored by ChefMLK School of Cooking lecturers with a network of professional partners.
Upon successful completion of this course, the Trainee can apply for entry to the ChefMLK School of Cooking Cook Certificate course in 2021.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form, or download the PDF below.
Included in course fee
Compulsory additional cost – payable upon registration
- Chef uniform items (2 x jackets, 2 x trousers, 2 x aprons, 1 x beanie, 2 x neck ties and 1 pair of safety shoes)
- Basic professional knife set and knife roll (6 pieces)
- City & Guilds Registration fee
- Resource materials and ingredients for ChefMLK School of Cooking practical assessments
- Study Guides and Log Books
- ChefMLK School of Cooking Resource File
- Basic on-site First Aid provided by ChefMLK School of Cooking lecturers
Excluded from course fee
- Occupational Trade Test fees (pending confirmation by QCTO)
- Transportation to and from School and Industry Placement
- All stationary requirements
- Replacement uniform items or knives
- Tasting spoons and kitchen cloths (items are to be personalized)
- Meals and refreshments at the School and Industry Placement
- Printing of personal POE material and assignments
- Costs incurred due to breakages and damage to ChefMLK School of Cooking property
- Computer and Wi-Fi facilities
- Professional Medical Assistance and related costs